Plum Jam Recipe – No Pectin Required
by Alice Currah (Source)
2 cups chopped plums, peels removed
1 cup sugar
1 Tbl. lemon juice
- Cook plums and lemon juice on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and stir until everything is well combined.
- Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes until the thickness of the jam has been reduced to the consistency of thick honey (or 104C. degrees) stirring occasionally.
- Skim off the foam, remove from heat,
- and allow to cool. Enjoy!
Kara’s Basil Pesto
Kara grows her own Thai basil (a perennial type of basil) and turns this into her very popular basil pesto. Most pesto recipes call for Parmesan cheese, but Kara dispenses with the cheese altogether, which keeps the pesto greener and fresher for longer.
To freeze the pesto, line an ice cube tray with glad-wrap, and fill each pocket with pesto. Freeze and then remove the frozen pesto from the ice tray. Store in a freezer bag. When you want to use, defrost as many cubes as you need. You can add in grated Parmesan or Romano for extra flavour.
2 cups fresh basil leaves, washed and packed
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pulse the nuts in a blender for a few times.
- Add the basil leaves to the nuts in the blender, pulse a few more times.
- Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the blender is on.
- Stop the blender to scrape down the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula.
- Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Blend to paste.
Serve with pasta, or over baked potatoes, or spread on toasted bread.
Makes 250 ml.
- Contains nuts.
- Free from gluten, eggs, meat.
Delicious Honey Nut Bars
By Serena Lin
You will need a food processor for this recipe (or a powerful blender). You can play around with what nuts you use, though the following combination is delicious! Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease (with coconut oil) a 9×13 casserole dish.
Grind the following nuts into coarse nut flour. Don’t let it turn into nut butter!
½ cup cashews
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup almonds
Put the above into a medium bowl and stir in the following:
½ cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup raisins
½ t salt
1 t cinnamon
Melt the following in a small saucepan:
½ cup honey
¼ cup high quality coconut oil
Pour honey/oil over the nut mixture and stir until everything is evenly coated.
Press evenly into the prepared casserole dish
Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until it is lightly browned.
Allow to cool for 20 minutes,
Then very gently cut and remove bars.
Allow to cool on a plate.
They will be crumbly at this stage, but I found that if they started to fall apart, I could gently mold them back together (the honey acts like glue.). As they cool they will harden.
Once cool, place in an airtight container and enjoy!
by Gundel Muller
2 Tsp syrup
2 Tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 cups brown sugar
250 g dates
1 cup pecan nuts (optional)
250 g sultanah/raisins
4 cups oats
4 cups flour
- Melt 1 pound of butter in a large pot , add the syrup and soda bicarb and mix.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the brown sugar, dates, pecan nuts, sultanah, oats, and flour.
- Mix well.
- Press it on a greased baking pan.
- Bake at 180C for 20 mins until its light brown.
- Cut into little squares and serve.
Pancakes for a rainy day
2 cups flour
2 ½ cups water
½ cup oil
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vinegar
Mix batter and pan fry.
Via Elma van der Nest
Deeg (groterige bak)
2 kop meel
100gr gerasperde kaas
1 tl droeë mosterd
Sif saam en druk in bak. Bak vir ± 10 minute teen 180°C (moet nie te donker bak nie)
3 kop gesnipperde spinasie gaar (2 bossies)
2 groot uie + knoffel
125 gr spek
125 gr feta kaas
Gerasperde kaas (vir bo-oor)
Braai uie, knoffel + spek. Voeg gaar spinasie by uiemengsel en gooi in kors. Gooi eiermengsel bo-oor, Strooi kaas oor. Bak 30 minute by 180°C.
Moist Banana Loaf
Basic recipe makes one 9×5 inch loaf.
½ cup butter
1 cup white sugar
3 overripe bananas, mashed
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees C.
- Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition.
- Stir in the mashed bananas.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Blend the banana mixture into the flour mixture; stirring just to combine.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into centre of the loaf comes out clean.